Library Intern – Patron Services
Are you currently a student enrolled in an ALA-accredited Masters’ Degree program in Library/Information Studies?
Are you an energetic, creative, service-oriented person who enjoys working with the public?
Are you wondering how to get the experience necessary to obtain a full-time position after graduation?
If so, we want you to join our team at Whitefish Bay Public Library!
Our interns gain a variety of experience, including collection development, readers’ advisory, program planning, and more. After graduation, our interns have gone on to work in full-time positions throughout Wisconsin, the Midwest, and even internationally.
“Working at Whitefish Bay Library as an intern without a doubt shaped my career. I learned how to conduct story time and general library programing, and also built up my skills in reference. The librarians I worked under were very supportive of me trying new ideas and helped me gain experience and confidence as a librarian. I am currently a Librarian III and manager of my own team at Chicago Public Library. I would not be where I am today without the solid background of working as an intern at Whitefish Bay library.” ~Becca
“I believe my time as an intern at WFB played a role in getting my first professional job out of graduate school (even before I technically graduated!). I had opportunities to plan and implement programs and to work on collection development projects, both important when working as a youth services librarian. Gaining hands-on experience while working with supportive staff made this internship a very meaningful one.” ~Jess
The Whitefish Bay Public Library has an opening for a paid internship for a student currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science program. The Library is seeking a service oriented person who enjoys working with the public and is comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires multi-tasking. The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources. In meeting this commitment, employees are expected to be knowledgeable, competent, dependable and courteous in the performance of their responsibilities and to work cooperatively as part of a team.
Overview of Duties:
- Staff the Adult Services and Youth Services reference desks
- Provide assistance to patrons of all ages in person and over the phone
- Assist with programming, such as summer reading, book clubs, and special events
- Provide readers advisory assistance to patrons of all ages
- Instruct patrons on the use of CountyCat, online databases, and digital content
- Monitor the public computers and assist patrons with basic questions · Create displays, brochures or guides
Hours of Work
- 11-15 hours a week; some evening and weekends are required
- $12.00 per hour
- There are no benefits with this position
- Standard 6-months probationary period applies
- Submit Village of Whitefish Bay application online at http://bit.ly/2oCJUiP
- Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Nyama Y. Reed, Library Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline to submit: Friday, March 23rd