Position Title: Reference Librarian
Position Status: Part-time. Hourly.
Appointing Authority: Library Director
Supervisor: Adult Services Team Lead
Are you a librarian with an ALA-accredited Masters’ Degree program in Library/Information Studies?
Are you an energetic, creative, service-oriented person who enjoys working with the public?
If so, we want you to join our team at Whitefish Bay Public Library!
The Whitefish Bay Public Library has an opening for a part-time Reference Librarian who will work primarily in the Adult Services Department, but is flexible enough to also work in the Youth Services Department when needed.
The Whitefish Bay Public Library, as a cornerstone of the community, is dedicated to connecting people of all ages, inspiring a love of learning and providing easy access to ideas, information and resources. In meeting this commitment, employees are expected to be knowledgeable, competent, dependable and courteous in the performance of their responsibilities and to work cooperatively as part of a team.
The Library is seeking a team member who is:
- service oriented and enjoys providing exceptional customer service to people of all ages
- comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires multi-tasking while maintaining a calm demeanor
- WFBPL has the most visits per year per citizen in Milwaukee County which results in a fast pace of work.
- Also able to stay busy during slow periods (there is always something to do)
- tech savvy
- adept at working independently and as part of a team
This position requires a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science; beginning librarians and candidates nearing completion of the MLIS (i.e. within 2 months) are welcome to apply.
- Staff the adult services reference desk, provide reference & readers advisory to patrons in-person, by phone and by e-mail
- Instruct patrons on the use of CountyCat, online databases, digital content , the internet, and MS office
- Monitor the computers and help patrons with basic questions
- Assist with adult programming
- Assist with cataloging and processing materials
- Create displays, brochures, and guides
Hours of Work:
- 15-20 hours a week; some evenings and weekends required
- $18.00-$20.00 per hour, based on experience
- No benefits
- Standard 6-months probationary period applies
How to Apply:
1. Submit Village of Whitefish Bay application online at http://bit.ly/2oCJUiP
2. Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Scott Lenski Community & Adult Services Librarian; Adult Services Team Lead
3. Deadline to submit: Friday May 25, 2018