The Material Consideration Policy outlines a formal process for the public to provide input and feedback on material selection for the Library’s collection, and is referenced in the Library’s Collection Management Policy.
Request for New Material Consideration
The Whitefish Bay Public Library welcomes suggestions of materials for the Library’s collection. Suggestions will be evaluated based upon the Library’s collection development policies and available budget.
Patrons may submit a Material Consideration Form, which is available at the Adult Service Desk and the Children’s Service Desk.
Request for Removal or Reclassification of Current Material
The library will reconsider any material in its collection upon written request of a patron who is a Whitefish Bay resident and who fulfills the following steps:
1. The patron must have read/viewed/listened to the item in question in its entirety, absent extraordinary circumstances.
2. The patron will be given a copy of the Whitefish Bay Public Library’s: Collection Management Policy; Material Consideration Policy; Material Consideration Form. 3. The patron may fill out the Material Consideration Form and/or request an appointment with the Library Director to discuss the matter. Whitefish Bay Public Library Material Consideration Policy Approved by the Whitefish Bay Library Board of Trustees December 16, 2014. Supersedes Request for Reconsideration section of Collection Development Policy (2006)
4. If the patron wants to pursue the removal or reclassification, the completed Material Consideration Form must be submitted.
5. The Library will take on the Material Consideration process one item at a time per patron.
6. The Library Director will review the item with the purchasing librarian who will make a recommendation to the Library Director within 6 weeks of receiving the initial request.
7. The Library Director will make a decision on whether or not the item should be retained and inform the patron of the decision within three weeks of receiving the staff recommendation.
8. The patron may appeal the Library Director's decision to the Library Board within two months after receiving the Library Director's reply.
Whitefish Bay Public Library Material Consideration Policy Approved by the Whitefish Bay Library Board of Trustees December 16, 2014. Supersedes Request for Reconsideration section of Collection Development Policy (2006)